Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Writing Marathon



Your best friend from college has invited you to her wedding. You haven’t seen her for years, so you’re excited to catch up. But when you arrive at the wedding, you discover that your best friend’s groom is someone from your past—and you realize you must stop the wedding at all costs.


The Diary


Jan 20th, India time

Finally I am on the plane. After much of thinking I have convinced myself that no one misses a best friend's wedding when there is a chance of making it. So though it is just last week she has called me and announced her wedding, I have decided to make it.

I hate flight journeys, especially the long ones. First thing there is hardly anything interesting outside the window. Second the food choice is so limited. Third no body seems to be really interested in any conversation. And here I am about to make a 19 hour flight to the United States to attend my friend's wedding.

My co-passenger had been here and fast asleep, when I boarded. He is still sleeping and also snoring. You bet, I will have a wonderful journey ;)


Jan 20th, US time


Finally I am here. Dog Tired. But it was very nice of Aisha to be on time..! ;)
We almost yelled and hugged each other "Aisha.!" "Anu..!".
All through the car drive we had so much to talk about. About the snoring co-passenger,my wonderful job, Indian traffic, US recession, her marriage and our past crushes..

It is always good to be with friends...isn't it? :)


Jan 28th


One week stay has just flown by.I had been so occupied, that I did not have time to write to you.

In these 7 days,I have used every second to unwind myself. It was just wonderful..to roam around in the college campus, eat the canteen food, and then shop like 'never before'. Well we did stumble over the most interesting topic "The groom", but we just talked about things in general and discussed no details.

"why??" hmmmm...why because we are not supposed to. Thanks to the crazy deal we made in our college days, that we do not meet, discuss or know about each others groom until the D -day. We wanted to have it as a 'surprise'..! So here I am with the guy's info. Mr.X is handsome, loving, romantic and loves shopping ;) I am dying to know more..but Aisha is so adamant..!

Aisha is having a christian wedding and that is the most exciting part for me. I have watched the christian weddings in the movies - My best friend's wedding, Bride wars, 27 dresses..Especially I love the scene when the bride enters the hall and walks towards the groom. So I am waiting to see it live now..!

ok.ok.bye good night..someone is calling me down stairs..!

Jan 29th


The D-day has dawned and it is beautiful. I dressed up fast and went down stairs into Aisha's room. She looked gorgeous and her nervous smile told me how exactly she was feeling. I went up to her and gave her an assuring hug "All is well, that ends well. And don't look so scared". I said and walked out of the room for the fear i might just get too emotional. One suffers from 'losing friend syndrome' especially in these times, you know.

Anyway time to go now. I will update you about the wedding and details when I come back..or may be tomorrow.

Feb 1st

I reached home today. Yup, back from the big wedding. Yes,I have to tell you everything and skip no detail. So on that day..

We were all at the church on time. I seated myself with some of the friends and waited for the count down to begin. The music began..Aisha entered in her white clad gown, her hair beautifully made up, her hands softly holding Joseph uncle and her eyes beaming. It was so much like the movie. At this second I had turned to look at the boy, to see his expression of happiness. And the moment I saw, I sensed the disaster. Yes..there was something wrong about it. About the groom standing there..
It was something I knew, but just would not strike my memory. Something to do with his face, his eyes..and lo..! it struck me.

My face turned red. I had to do something and I had to do it fast. I stood up and hurriedly walked towards the couple now ready to exchange their rings. "Sure! what a surprise I had looking at Aisha's groom." I told myself as I flighted the stairs .I stood there for a second and whispered in the bride's ear "Aisha, this marriage cannot happen."
She was startled "what are you talking? Get lost". she hissed.

"No you idiot. That guy is fake. Pull his mustache and beard, you will know". I said suppressing my rage.

"What the hell?Get lost" she raised her voice. "Aisha! look at him once. He looks so tensed and that is because he recognizes me".

I did not wait for her to react. I was so full with fury that I walked up to this guy and gave him a tight loud slap. That blow was enough to pull out his one side of the beard, that now hung at his chin.

There were loud gasps and whispers in the hall.

"So Mr.Prithvi Pai, this was your business trip , eh?"

Aisha slowly came by my side and asked in a trembling voice" Who is this Anu? Do you know him?"

"Oh yes dear..! This is my new boss from America. He proposed me last week and said he had be back in a month and wanted me to have an answer. And this is his business trip Aisha!"

Hearing it Aisha's face went pale..and slowly colored to red. she piercingly stared at this guy and gave him another loud slap and walked away.

Obviously marriage was called off, but only after some hungama and drama.

The next day, Aisha came to drop me at the airport. Before we bid good bye, she hugged me "thanks yaar..you saved me"..she said.

"And thanks to you too..you saved me." I hugged and smiled. I waited for a second and hesitatingly added " And Aish, our deal is called off. No more surprises. You know,just in case" I chuckled and walked towards the check in counter. she smilingly nodded and bid good bye.


No.Don't even ask how i feel. I feel stupid and happy. Stupid because my sensibility had failed in judging people. Proud because I almost had an adventure and saved so many lives and their happiness.

Ok got to sleep now. Have a long day tomorrow. Have to wake up early and begin my search for a job.

Good night..!

P.S. Seriously, I thought these things happen in movies and not real lives.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

very good one! Liked the writing style.....Keep it up!