Sunday, February 10, 2008

The philosophy of problems

This is not a discourse on “steps to success”. Nor, is this write up intended to be one of the bombarding personality development sessions. It is merely an expression of my troubled thoughts and ambiguous living that seemed to end in an unexpected manner.
I feel God has given me the largest number of choices to be angry about. If am to list out “Things that make me angry “am bound to be a contest winner.
Every thing in this world seems to be a problem to me. Right from the alarm that rings in the morning to the noisy crickets at night, all are problematic!
As my daily chores begin, I realize my impatience brimming out of me----My books are never in place. Nothing of my favorites is for break fast; my vehicle never starts before making noise and drawing the frowns of my neighbors. In class, teacher glares at me, for opening my mouth. Curd rice for lunch supervenes my furious mood…this way; my day never seems to end. Tons of homework, exams, gossips, friends…At the end, my day seems to be busy and tiring but never full. These, so called trivialities seemed to undermine my potential until one day dawned….
That day everything seemed to have changed…
My books were on the table…just that I had to put them in my bag
My vehicle did not start-I thanked God… I would, save petrol by bus…
My Teacher glared at me, this time I had a companion-my friend. I was happy I shall not be alone if I was thrown out.
Brinjal -the distasteful curry for lunch-just then my friend yelled “wow! Brinjal! ”-that day sandwich was my treat
This way, things suddenly seemed to fall in place. The sun was no brighter, but the day was. I seemed to get out of my doldrums…
How could it? … Somewhere deep inside I had an answer...

What had happened?

It was 31 December --the night before this beautiful day had dawned, my friend and I were having an evening stroll.Too bored to celebrate the pompous New Year, we decided to give the year a short adieu.
It is necessary that the reader must be introduced to my friend first.She is a small ,dark girl.Her father’s is a clerical job.She is studying in a regional governement college.She is not a very bright student,but has a flare for painting and colours.She loves food,dance,friends ,movies gossips..Wait. I think she almost loves everything she does.
Coming back to where we started.we were taking a stroll, when we came across two urchins who were playing the good old “train, train “game, holding each other’s sleeve and running in a circle.
Looking at them I sympathetically commented” I wish I could give them all my toys to play.They would have been so happy” My friend cut me off saying “ I bet you cannot make them more happy” she paused,looked at me and continued “what makes you think they are not happy?” .I shrugged and kept quiet, though a little disturbed. As we moved along, we came across our house maid’s hut.In dim lit light,she was cooking food and chatting with her nighbour.When we passed by,she shyly smiled at us,smiling back at her I said to my friend” Poor soul! How hard she works, working at houses, cooking food for children, no hygenic food” as I was about to go on, my friend took the lead “she hardly needs your sympathy dear!I think she is enjoying what she is doing.well,I suppose that is why she is living” she answered sarcastically.

This time evidently embarrassed, I defiantly asked her”what’s your problem?”
To this, my friend loudly chuckled and asked back” I should ask you that-what is your problem?”
Inadvertently came my reply “you are mocking me! Everything I say seems to be a problem to you”
Mockingly she said” He! He! Is it you who is saying this? You seem to have a problem about everything in life-right from your alarm clock to the stuff you are made off!”

I was appalled.I never expected the serious tone from her.She didn’t stop and continued” You have a problem with everything Neha.Your books are a problem to you,your bike is a problem,your lunch is a problem.The whole world is a problem to you.Infact,this word problem is a big problem to you!”

“Why, is problem not a problem to you” I questioned fighting back my tears.

“No” she replied calmly.”Problem has never been one to me.To put it this way, I never look at problems, I deal with them”

Uh!! It was a jolt to me! I needed an explanation.she guessed it and continued…” Neha, if we were to think problems as problems,we could have not managed to have lived this long.If you are one person having one problem,there are millions out there fighting with millions of problems.Believe me,you are not alone.” The ball was still in her court, she continued, “Have you ever heard of the word TAKE IT EASY?” It was a mockery again.I shrugged looking down and continued walking.

“Take life easily Neha.Anything that comes to you is short lived.You really don’t have to somersault,take it ,crush it,and grumble about it.There are a few things in this life ,which you should just let go”

My ego was still burning.I simply listened to her.

”Look at me.I am short, and dark.I go to a government college,I slog,I sleep late.I take care of my grand mother.I wanted a bike since 12th class,so far I have not bought it.I have no new dress,for the festival.If I and you were to compete auctioning our problems.I bet,I will win!”

It was a jerk!! I stared at her.she didn’t have to be so hard on herself! I tried to put the same in words, but she stopped me and continued” But I do not look at things that way! I am happy that I have loving family.I am happy that I am educated, though not a rank student.And am proud that I paint well, which makes me happy again.Don’t you see, it’s so easy to look the other way round?”

I smiled back at her, and she returned it back with a much brighter one!When we reached my home,we stood at the door steps.There was a minute’s silence.As though ,coming out of some far world ,my friend said “ Well,Time to go!good night”
Smiling I said “Hey! I think I will give the loudest bonvoyage to this old year-with loads of problems, worries and complaints”
She took a minute to understand, then chucked aloud and said” he…he…Right! Go ahead! Good night”
We bid, hugged and parted for the night.
As I was getting inside the house, my thoughts ran “I have been with her for 15 years now, why did she tell this to me today? Why did I talk about my maid today? About the children? May be it is called providence.. the just time to change”

Anyway the bottom line is: My new year,I was sure,was going to rock!”

7 comments:

Unknown said...

beautiful...simply superb..thats wat i can say about this nandy...
too good darling :)
love,tripura

Sruthi said...

I simply loved it...now i see a writer here...u seemed like a PRO ra...
and yes, even the incident seemed so thought evoking...it seems so true kada...
a lovely piece

Unknown said...

I think i'll title it "Nandy ko Gussa kyun aata hai"... :)

beautifully written..maybe its time to think in the same positive manner now :)

Sampath said...

someone said.. its not a problem if you dont think about it..!! so just stop thinking.. ;))! nice one..

Unknown said...

Absolutely right...this is a story which is realted to every other person in this world.The best thing i liked in this story is how to see the problem from other way around...a very possitive atttitude.

Unknown said...

gr8 thought.its something tht we skip when going thrgh everyday life and cursing each thing tht makes us uncomfortable..written in a simple yet thought provoking way..

Unknown said...

Once again, Excellent!!